City of Seymour City Council
Regular Meeting, February 16, 2017
A Regular City Council Meeting was held on Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 7:00 P.M. at the Portwood Arts and Civic Center, 800 E. Morris, Seymour, TX 76380.
Call to Order, Roll Call and Pledge of Allegiance was led by Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis.
A Proclamation regarding Black History Month was read by Mayor Gilbert-Mathis.
Council present: Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis, Council members Les Hons, David Horton, Jon Hrncirik, Mary K. Fair and MPT Monty Glass.
Counsel present: City Attorney Whitsitt was not present at this meeting.
City Staff present: City Administrator Steve Biedermann, City Secretary Conchita Torrez, Supervisors Todd Hrncirik, Robert Torrez, Jay Barrington, Chief of Police Mike Griffin and ED Director Lauren Bush.
Guest(s): Jared Bodkin, John Hostas and Elizabeth Hostas.
Announcements: Mayor Gilbert-Mathis announced the RSVP/AAA Car &Truck Show scheduled for April 22, 2017 in Wichita Falls, Texas and Texas Independence Celebration scheduled for March 18, 2017, in Seymour, Texas at the Seymour Memorial Park.
Citizen questions and or comments: John Hostas addressed the Mayor and City Council. He introduced himself and announced that he is the new Emergency Management Coordinator for Baylor County. John has been with the Seymour Volunteer Fire Department for 12 years, a Full time employee with Seymour EMS for 8 years and is looking forward to working with the County and City. He and Judge Stafford will attend a class on April 13, 2017. Everyone thanked John for his service and look forward to working with him.
CONSENT AGENDA: (Items listed under the Consent Agenda are considered routine and are generally enacted in one motion. The exception to this rule is that a Council Member may request one or more items to be removed from the Consent Agenda for separate discussion and action.)
- CONSIDER APPROVING THE CONSENT AGENDA AS FOLLOWS:
a.) Approve January 19, 2017, Regular Called Meeting Minutes.
b.) Accept Reports
- Monthly Investment Report
- First National Bank accounts report summary
- Employee List/Golf Course Membership total
End of Consent Agenda
Motion made by Council member Jon Hrncirik, second by Council member Les Hons, to approve the Consent Agenda as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Hear reports from City of Seymour Supervisors: Administration, Finance, Police,
Electric, Street/Park, Water/Swr/R.O., SFREC/Pool, and ED.
City Administrator gave an oral report for the Administration, Finance and Street Department. All other supervisors gave their respective reports.
Todd Hrncirik announced the Go Cart Races that will take place on March 4, 2017, on McLain Street.
Regular meeting closes and Public Hearing will begin at 7:29 p.m.
- A Public Hearing regarding an easement request from owners Mark & Ann Machen, 511
- Miller Street. Said easement would provide free and uninterrupted use of portion of
Unopened 50 foot South Arkansas Street, including in fence to Second Party’s
An easement request was made by Mark and Ann Machen regarding an uninterrupted use
of an unopened 50 foot on South Arkansas Street. The City owns this property and the
Mr. Machen would like to use.
No one spoke for or against the easement request.
Public Hearing closes and Regular meeting will resume at 7:40 p.m.
- Discuss, consider and take action regarding Easement Agreement between the City of
Seymour and Mark and Ann Machen, 511 W. Miller Street.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, second by Council member Les Hons, to approve the easement request from Mark & Ann Machen. Motion passed with majority of 4 ayes and 1 nay.
- Authorize City Staff to advertise for “City Wide Spring Clean up Week “to be held Saturday, April 1st through Sunday, April 9th, 2017.
Motion made by Council member Jon Hrncirik, second by MPT Monty Glass to approve City Wide Spring Clean Up Week. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss, consider and take action to accept the Annual Police Contact Data Report, known as the Racial Profile Report, as presented by Seymour Police Chief Mike Griffin.
Chief Griffin submitted the Annual Racial Profile Report to the Mayor and City Council. After reviewing, the Mayor entertained a motion.
Motion made by Council member David Horton, second by Mary K. Fair, to approve the Racial Profile Report. Motion passed unanimously.
- 7. Discuss, consider and take action to approve Resolution No. 1442, allowing Seymour Police Department to pursue a Traffic & School Safety Project Grant to be operated for the 2017 Fiscal Year.
The submission of a grant by the Seymour Police Department will allow them to purchase much needed items such as Emergency scene flashing flood lights, Barricades with flashing mounted lights, heavy duty sand bags, School zone reflector barricades, active shooter kits and Dynamic warning sign systems on trailers.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Mary K. Fair, to approve Resolution No. 1442, Traffic and School Safety Project Grant. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss and approve the City of Seymour accounts payable bills paid in January, 2017.
City Council reviewed the City of Seymour bills paid in the month of January, 2017.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Jon Hrncirik to approve the bills. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss, consider and take action to update the current signature card on all City of Seymour accounts at First Bank & Trust Seymour, with current Mayor, City Council, City Administrator and City Secretary information.
An updated signature card was needed at First Bank & Trust Seymour with current information regarding Council and City Staff.
Motion made by Council member David Horton, second by MPT Monty Glass, to update signature card at First Bank & Trust, Seymour. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss, consider and take action to change the March Regular Council meeting from March 16, 2017, to March 23, 2017, to accommodate the SISD Spring Break schedule.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, second by Council member Les Hons to change the City Council Regular Meeting from March 16, 2017, to March 23, 2017. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss, consider and take action to approve the Texas Water Development Board Investment and Disclosure Form for Short-Term Investment Vehicle.
This investment and disclosure form is in regards to loan for the Selenium project. After reviewing several options, City Council chose the Short – Term Cash Fund option. This will allow the City to earn interest and is similar to a money market fund, but is a sweep solution that banks may provide to their clients. Jared Bodkin addressed the City Council and Mayor and stated that this would be a good investment.
Motion made by Council member David Horton, second by Council member Les Hons, to approve the Short-Term Cash Fund for the Selenium project. Motion passed unanimously.
- Discuss, consider and take action by giving direction to Steve Biedermann, City Administrator, regarding the current Drought Contingency Plan.
Mr. Biedermann addressed the Mayor and City Council regarding the current Drought Contingency Plan for the City of Seymour. The City has been in Stage 3 and would like the City Council to consider going to a Stage 2.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Jon Hrncirik, to allow Mr. Biedermann to post a Public Hearing in the BANNER regarding this change and also to lift restrictions beginning March 1st – March 31st. City Council will adopt the proposed stage at the March 23, 2017, Regular Meeting, to go into effect on April 1, 2017.
Motion passed unanimously.
A recess was called by Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis at 8:09 p.m.
Regular Meeting closes and Executive Session begins at 8:18 p.m.
- An Executive Session (closed to the public) pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Texas Local Government Code, under Section §380.001, Economic Development Programs, Incentives for H H Creek Inn, as presented by Brad Hammock.
Executive Session closes and Regular meeting resumes at 9:02 p.m.
- Discuss, and take action resulting from deliberations from executive session.
No action taken at this time.
- Adjournment by MPT Monty Glass, second by Council member Les Hons at 9:03 p.m.
PASSED AND APPROVED ON THIS THE 23RD DAY OF MARCH, 2017.
Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis
City Secretary Conchita Torrez, TRMC