City of Seymour, Texas
DUE TO PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY
WHEREAS, beginning in December 2019, a novel corona virus, now designated SARS-COV2, which causes the disease COVID-19, has been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization; and
WHEREAS, the symptoms of COVID-19 can range from mild to severe illness and cause further complications including death; and
WHEREAS, COVID-19 virus mainly spreads between people who are in close contact with one another through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes; and
WHEREAS, on March 13, 2020, the Governor of the State of Texas issued a proclamation certifying that COVID-19 poses an imminent threat of disaster in the State and declaring a State of disaster for all counties in Texas; and
WHEREAS, on March 31, 2020, the Governor of the State of Texas issued an Executive Order, Implementing Statewide Essential Services and Activities Protocols; and
WHEREAS, the City of Seymour, Texas, is taking extraordinary measures to prevent the spread of this potentially devastating disease in our community; and
WHEREAS, said state of disaster requires that certain emergency protective measures be taken pursuant to the Texas Disaster Act of 1975 relating to Emergency Management and Public Health, pursuant to Chapter 418 of the Texas Government Code.
WHEREAS, the Presidents’ Coronavirus Guidelines for America, as promulgated by President Donald J. Trump and the CDC on March 16, 2020, call upon Americans to slow the spread of COVID-19 by avoiding social gatherings in groups of more than 10 people, using drive-thru, pickup, or delivery options at restaurants and bars, and avoiding visitation at nursing homes, among other steps.
NOW THEREFORE, BE IT PROCLAIMED BY THE MAYOR OF THE CITY OF SEYMOUR, TEXAS TO ADD REGULATIONS TO SAID DECLARATION:
SECTION 1. That a local State of disaster for public health emergency is hereby declared for the City of Seymour, Texas, pursuant to Section 418.108 (a) of the Texas Local Government Code.
SECTION 2. That pursuant to Section 418.108 (b) of the Texas Government Code the State of disaster for public health emergency shall continue until further notice.
SECTION 3. That pursuant to Section 418.108 (c) of the Texas Government Code this declaration of a local State of disaster for public health emergency shall be given prompt and general publicity and shall be filed promptly with the City Secretary.
SECTION 4. That pursuant to Section 418.108 (d) of the Texas Government Code, this declaration of a local State of disaster activates the City of Seymour, Texas, emergency management plan, and authorizes the furnishing of aid assistance under the declaration.
SECTION 5. That this declaration authorizes the City to take any actions necessary to promote health and suppress the virus, including the quarantine of persons and occupied structures, examining and regulating hospitals, regulating ingress and egress from the City, regulating ingress and egress to occupied structures, establishment of quarantine stations, emergency hospitals, and other hospitals, and insuring compliance for those who do not comply with the City’s rules, pursuant to Section 122.006 of the Health and Safety Code.
SECTION 6. That this declaration hereby limits the size of gatherings to not more than 10 people and mandates the cancellation of all such gatherings until further notice. A “gathering” refers generally to a scheduled event or common endeavor where not more than 10 people are presented in a confined space, room, or area.
SECTION 7. In accordance with the Texas Government Code §418.173, a person who knowingly or intentionally violates this declaration commits an offense, punishable by a fine up to $1,000.00 or confinement in jail for a term that does not exceed 180 days.
SECTION 8. That this declaration shall take effect immediately from and after its issuance.
1. NO MORE THAN 10 CUSTOMERS IN A STORE OR BUSINESS AT ANY TIME. NO MORE THAN 5 CUSTOMERS IN A STORE OR BUSINESS THAT CONTAINS 3,000 SQUARE FEET OF FLOOR AREA OR LESS.
2. GOLF CARTS ARE PROHIBITED ON ANY CITY STREETS, OR HIGHWAYS, WITHIN CITY LIMITS, EXCEPT WHEN DRIVEN BY A LICENSED DRIVER. PEOPLE THAT ARE ON A GOLF CART MUST RESIDE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD. THIS ORDER SUSPENDS ORDINANCE NO. 2016-05, UNTIL COVID-19 DISASTER DECLARATION IS RESCINDED.
3. REFRAIN FROM TRAVELING TO ANY COUNTRY, CITY OR STATE WITH MULTIPLE CONFIRMED CASES OF COVID-19, AS SPECIFIED IN TEXAS GOVERNOR ABBOTT’S MOST CURRENT EXECUTIVE ORDER; BY ANY MEANS OF TRANSPORTATIONS, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF CONDUCTING ESSENTIAL BUSINESS.
4. ANYONE TRAVELING ON COMMERCIAL AIRLINES TO OR FROM ANOTHER COUNTRY OR ANY U.S. CITY AS IDENTIFIED IN TEXAS GOVERNOR ABBOTT’S CURRENT EXECUTIVE ORDER; WILL BE REQUIRED TO QUARANTINE UPON THEIR RETURN TO SEYMOUR, TEXAS, FOR NO LESS THAN 14 CONSECUTIVE DAYS.
5. CURFEW WILL TAKE EFFECT FROM 10:30 P.M. TO 6:00 A.M. UNLESS FOR WORK OR OTHER ESSENTIAL BUSINESS, SUSPENDING ORDINANCE NO. 2016-10, UNTIL COVID-19 DISASTER DECLARATION IS RESCINDED.
6. HAND SANITIZER STATIONS WILL BE LOCATED AT ENTRANCES TO ALL PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
7. ALL EXECUTIVE ORDERS AND ANY OTHER GUIDELINES FROM TEXAS GOVERNOR ABBOTT REGARDING COVID-19 WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED.
DECLARED AND APPROVED BY ORDER OF THE MAYOR AND CITY COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF SEYMOUR.
SAID REGULATIONS WILL BE EFFECTIVE AS OF APRIL 3, 2020, AT 11:59 P.M.
DECLARED AND UPDATED ON THIS 2ND DAY OF APRIL, 2020.
Jon Hrncirik, Mayor, City of Seymour
Conchita Torrez, City Secretary