August 18, 2015 – Special Called Meeting Minutes
Oct 5, 2015
CITY OF SEYMOUR CITY COUNCIL
SPECIAL CALLED MEETING
August 18, 2015
A Special Called Meeting was held on Tuesday, August 18, 2015, at 12:00 noon, at 301 N. Washington Street, Conference Room in Seymour, Texas 76380.
CALL TO ORDER / ROLL CALL / PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE BY NAN GILBERT-MATHIS AT 12:05 P.M.
COUNCIL PRESENT: Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis, Council members Les Hons, David Horton, Greg Shumate and Jon Hrncirik.
COUNCIL ABSENT: MPT Monty Glass
COUNSEL PRESENT: Cindy Ayres, City Attorney
CITY STAFF PRESENT: City Administrator Steve Biedermann, City Secretary Conchita Torrez, ED Director Lauren Bush and Street Supervisor Adam Sturgeon.
- Discuss and take action regarding the Pocket Park project, correcting and clarifying the voting count, as previously made by City Council on August 11, 2015, with change and correction to reflect on the meeting minutes.
Council member Les Hons, had spoken with City Secretary Torrez regarding the voting count that was previously made at the Council meeting on August 11, 2015.
Council member Hons stated that he had voted against the pocket park project.
City Secretary will reflect on the minutes that the voting count be changed.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Greg Shumate for the voting count to be recorded as 3 ayes and 2 nays. Motion passes with majority of ayes.
- Discuss, consider and take action, if needed, regarding Pocket Park project, located on the north side of City Hall, previously approved by the City Council on August 11, 2015, with possible changes, modifications or stipulations.
Council wanted to clarify some items regarding the pocket park project.
Questions were asked to ED Director Lauren Bush regarding the cost and future grant monies that might not be approved. After discussing the project a motion was entertained by Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis.
Motion made by Council member David Horton, second by Council member Jon Hrncirik to approve Option 1 as previously done at the August 11, 2015 Regular meeting, but, with the stipulation that no money would be spent until the City found out if the City of Seymour had been awarded the Texas Wildlife and Priddy Grant.
If these grants are not awarded to the City, Council will go back and revisit their options.
A vote for 2 ayes by Horton and Hrncirik and 2 nays being Council members Hons and Shumate was made regarding the project park. By law, Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis breaks the tie. Mayor Nan Gilbert-Mathis voted for the pocket park project, therefore, the motion passed with 3 ayes and 2 nays. Motion passed with majority of ayes.
Remove tabled agenda item #12 from August 11, 2015, Regular City Council meeting.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Jon Hrncirik, to remove tabled agenda item from August 11, 2015, council meeting.
Motion passed unanimously to remove from table.
- Discuss, consider and take action regarding request from Melessa Brooks, requesting an alcohol variance for November 14, 2015, First Annual Whiteside Museum Gala.
The distance between the museum and First Baptist Church and measured at 430’. Therefore, a variance was granted to Melessa Brooks, for November 14, 2015.
Motion made by Council member David Horton, second by Council member Les Hons, to allow an alcohol variance. Motion passed with 3 ayes and 1 nay from Council member Shumate. Motion passed with the majority of ayes.
- Discuss, consider and take action regarding the Planning and Zoning Commission.
Council chose to appoint a Planning and Zoning Commission.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member David Horton, to advertise, appoint and train a planning and zoning commission.
Motion passed unanimously.
- Adjournment by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member David Horton to adjourn meeting at 12:55 p.m. Motion passed unanimously.
PASSED AND APPROVED ON THIS THE 17TH DAY OF SEPTEMBER, 2015.
MAYOR NAN GILBERT-MATHIS
CONCHITA TORREZ, CITY SECRETARY, TRMC