August 26, 2021 – City Council Meeting Minutes
Oct 28, 2021
City of Seymour City Council
August 26, 2021
A Regular City Council meeting was held at the Portwood Art & Civic Center, 800 E. Morris Street, at 5:00 p.m. in Seymour, Texas.
Call to Order, Pledge of Allegiance and Roll Call by Mayor Jon Hrncirik at 5:22 p.m.
Council present: Mayor Jon Hrncirik, MPT Monty Glass, Council Member Les Hons, Councill Member Lan Winn, Council Member Brian Broome, and Council Member Jay Hudson.
Counsel present: City Attorney Fritz Quast
City Staff present: City Administrator Dr. Jeffrey Brasher, City Secretary Conchita Torrez, ED Director Lauren Bush, Water/Sewer/RO Supervisor Robert Torrez, Street Supervisor Shawn Sanchez, Street Dept. Employee John Lynch,
Guest: Mary K. Fair, C. Rose, Mark McCord, Terry Carnahan, Sandra Moorhouse, Rick Moorhouse, Sunni Rose, Nancy Boone.
One name was not legible
Regular Meeting Closes-Executive Session will begin at 5:25 p.m.
2. An Executive Session ( closed to the public) and pursuant to Chapter 551 of the Texas Local Government Code:
§551.071 Consultation with Attorney: City Council Workshop, New Councilmember Orientation, Presentation and Legal Advice concerning open government, ethics, and liability issues.
551.074 Personnel regarding Evaluations
Executive Session closes-Regular meeting will resume at 7:05 p.m.
3. Announcements from the Mayor
Mayor Jon Hrncirik stated that our upcoming meetings were scheduled for September 16, 2021 and October 21, 2021.
4. City Administrator Jeffrey Brasher Ed. D., will present Certificate of Appreciation to a City of Seymour Department and an Employee of the Month.
At this time, Dr. Jeffrey Brasher presented a Certificate of Appreciation to the Seymour Street Department, which was presented by Street Supervisor Shawn Sanchez and employee John Lynch. He praised the department for the hard work and team efforts they make in helping the other departments when they are in need. He also stated that Shawn and Darrell Moore have been busy working hard while they have been shorthanded. The Street Department consists of Shawn Sanchez, Darrell Moore, John Lynch and Nick Garcia.
Supervisor Robert Torrez, for the Water, Sewer, and RO Plant excepted an Employee of the Month Certificate on behalf of Chase Hoyt, who was not able to attend. Chase is an employee out at the RO. Plant and is very knowledgeable of the procedures that take place out at the plant. Dr. Jeffrey Brasher acknowledged his expertise and stated he was a good employee. The RO Plant employees consist of John Davis and Chase Hoyt.
5. Citizen Comments
Mayor Hrncirik asked if anyone in the audience had any comments to make. Mary K. Fair and Charlie Rose spoke during this time.
6. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding deliberations
from Executive Sessions.
No action taken on agenda item #6
7. Consider approving the consent agenda as follows:
a.) Approve July 20, 2021 and July 27, 2021 minutes
b.) Monthly Investment Reports – July 2020 thru June 2021
c.) Quarterly Investment Reports
July -Sept. 2020, (Quarter#3)
Oct. – Dec. 2020 (Quarter#4)
Jan. -March 2021 (Quarter#1)
April – June2021 (Quarter #2)
d.) Peoples Bank Account Summary Reports
e.) Employee/Contract List and Salt Fork Rec. Golf totals
f.) Administration and Supervisors Written Reports
g.) Financial Information from SVFD
h.) Account Payable Bills for July, 2021
i.) Resolution No. 1507- Reverse Osmosis for a CL2 Gas
EQW/Leak Alarm with Regal EQ, in the amount of $10,816.00.
j.) Resolution No. 1508-Street Department, to make the first
grader payment in the amount of $19,899.00.
k.) Resolution No. 1509- City of Seymour Travel Expense
Account, for SVFD Firemen to attend Fire School at College
Station, in the amount of $2,634.00.
l.) Resolution No. 1510- Police Department, for two sets of tires
for P.D. Vehicles, in the amount of $402.00.
m.) Resolution No. 1511- Street Department, for the purchase
of a Shredder in the amount of $12, 000.00.
n.) Resolution No. 1512- SV Fire Department, a down payment
for the future purchase of a City Pumper Fire Truck, in the
amount of $15, 000.00.
At this time, Council asked to remove accounts payable bill paid to James Broome, from the list on letter H.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Jay Hudson to approve Consent Agenda list and with the exclusion of James Broome bills. Motion carried 5/0
h.) Account Payable Bills for July, 2021- James Broome
Note** Mr. James Broome signed a Conflict of Interest Form before the beginning of meeting.
Motion made by Council Member Les Hons, seconded by Council Member Lan Winn, to approve account payable bill paid in July to James Broome. Motion carried 4/0
8. Public Hearing
a.) The City of Seymour will conduct a Public hearing to discuss the proposed tax rate for the City of Seymour.
City Administrator Dr. Jeffrey Brasher spoke regarding the proposed tax rate for the City of Seymour. Chief Appraiser Mitzi Welch had explained and had spoken to Mayor Hrncirik and City Council regarding the tax rate during the July Council Meeting.
The City of Seymour is proposing to pass the tax rate of 0.45408 which is lower than the Voter -Approval Tax Rate.
9. Discuss, consider, and take action to approve the Proposed Tax Rate for the City of Seymour.
Motion made by Council Member Jay Hudson, seconded by Council Member Les Hons, to approve the proposed tax rate of 0.45408. Motion carried 5/0.
10. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding bid received for property legally described as N ½ of Lot 11, Block 6, McLain Addition, for property also known as 702 N. East Street.
Only one bid was received for this property. Joey and Beverly Sturgeon placed a bid for $200.00.
Motion made by Council Member Les Hons, seconded by MPT Monty Glass, to approve bid of $200 from Joey and Beverly Sturgeon. Motion carried 5/0.
11. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding bids received for property legally described as Lot 16, Block 5, McLain Addition, for property also described as 707 N. Tackitt Street.
Only one bid was received for this property. Joey and Beverly Sturgeon placed a bid for $800.00.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Jay Hudson, to approve bid of $800 from Joey and Beverly Sturgeon.
Motion carried 5/0
12. Discuss and make modifications, if needed to the proposed City of Seymour Budget for Fiscal Year 2021-2022, per City Administrator, Dr. Jeffrey Brasher.
Dr. Jeffrey Brasher presented to the Mayor and City Council some figures for the proposed City of Seymour 2021-2022, Seymour Budget. Mr. Brasher also spoke regarding the new base rate increases that would be considered. He is waiting to hear from Peoples Bank and visit with Mr. Adams, regarding a loan to pay off the LCRA Ancillary charges. Mr. Brasher considered the 3 year loan as the first scenario with the second scenario being the 11 months to pay it out as the other option Mr. Brasher also gave a breakdown of the proposed budget. No action was taken as more definite and accurate figures will be presented during the September 16, 2021, Regular City Council meeting.
13. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding Base Rate Increase scenarios.
A copy of the base rate increase scenarios was reviewed by the Mayor and City Council. Also, copies were distributed for guests to look at as well. Mr. Brasher had spoken regarding this agenda item earlier during the budget explanation.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Jay Hudson, to approve Scenario #2, paying the balance of the Ancillary Fees off within 11 months. Motion carried 5/0
14. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding the City of Seymour City Council Operating Procedures.
Mayor Hrncirik and City Council reviewed the City Council Operating Procedures as presented by Dr. Jeffrey Brasher. City Attorney, Fritz Quast had reviewed the procedures earlier during the month and advice City Council on what he felt was best for our city.
A list of the following recommendations was presented by City Attorney Fritz Quast.
1. A citizen wishing to speak and address the Mayor and City Council, must fill out a form (card) BEFORE the meeting starts, and hand it to the City Secretary or Recording Secretary.
2. A citizen has the right to speak during a Public Hearing or an Agenda Item, for a total time of 3 minutes during the council meeting.
3. The word “Charter” will be removed from sections in the Council Procedures as the City of Seymour is a type A General Law City.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Jay Hudson to accept the changes to the City Council Operating Procedures. Motion carried 5/0
15. Discuss, consider, and take action regarding City of Seymour vehicles that are out of service and no longer in use. Vehicles described as : #62 John Deere Shredder 1018, #497 Ford Explorer, #75 GMC Topkick Dump Truck and #00 4X8 Trailer with folding ramp.
These vehicles are no longer in service, and the City of Seymour would like to place them at the Montgomery Tractor Auction Sale.
Motion made by Council Member Les Hons, seconded by MPT Monty Glass, to allow Shawn Sanchez, to place vehicles at the auction and possibly sale. Motion carried 5/0
16. Discuss, consider, and take action to approve Resolution No. 1513, authorizing professional service providers selection for AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT Programs.
Resolution No. 1513 is a part of the procedures that are required by this program. Grant Works was the only company that responded to provide the city with professional service for the American Rescue Plan Act Program.
Motion made by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Lan Winn, to approve Resolution No. 1513. Motion carried 5/0
17. Adjournment of meeting
Adjournment of meeting by MPT Monty Glass, seconded by Council Member Les Hons at 8:48 p.m. Motion carried 5/0
Note: Council reserves the right to vote or to act in open session or go into
Executive Session upon any of the items listed in this agenda.
Mayor Jon Hrncirik
City Secretary, Conchita Torrez- TRMC