October 19, 2017 – City Council Meeting Minutes
Oct 23, 2017
MEETING MINUTES OF THE CITY OF SEYMOUR
REGULAR CITY COUNCIL MEETING
OCTOBER 19, 2017
A Regular City Council Meeting was held on Thursday, October 19, 2017, at 7:00 P.M. at the Portwood Arts and Civic Center, 800 E. Morris, Seymour, TX 76380.
MPT Jon Hrncirik Called meeting to order, along with roll call and Pledge of Allegiance at 7:01 p.m.
MPT Jon Hrncirik read proclamations regarding Czech Heritage and Fire Prevention
Council present: MPT Jon Hrncirik, Council members Les Hons, Paula K. Vaden, Mary K. Fair and Monty Glass.
Council absent: Mayor Josh Sosolik was absent
Counsel present: City Attorney Jonathan Whitsitt was present
City Staff: City Administrator Steve Biedermann, City Secretary Conchita Torrez, Finance Director Mary Griffin, ED Director Lauren Bush and Code Enforcement Officer John Byrket
Guest: Jason Bench and Elizabeth Hostas
Announcements from Mayor Pro-Tem: MPT Hrncirik announced the following events for October 21, 2017: Cruisin’ In the Brazos will be held downtown, Go-Cart races will be held on McLain Street and
Whiteside Museum of Natural History will have their Annual Gala.
Citizen’s questions/Comments: No one signed up for questions or comments
Consent Agenda : (Items listed under the Consent Agenda are considered routine and are generally enacted in one motion. The exception to this rule is that a Council Member may request one or more items to be removed from the Consent Agenda for separate discussion and action.)
1.CONSIDER APPROVING THE CONSENT AGENDA AS FOLLOWS:
a.) Approve Regular Meeting Minutes for September 21, 2017
b.) Accept REPORTS
1. Monthly Investment Report
2. First National Bank accounts report summary
3. Employee List & SFRE Membership List
4. Administration and Supervisor Written reports
c.) Accept and approve the City of Seymour, Texas, Fiscal Year 2016-2017,
Quarter 4 Investment Report, as presented by the Investment Officers.
END OF CONSENT AGENDA
Council reviewed the consent agenda and MPT Hrncirik entertained a motion.
Motion made by Council member Monty Glass, second by Council member Mary K. Fair.
Motion passes unanimously.
Regular meeting closes and Public hearing begins at 7:09 p.m.
2. A Public Hearing of the City of Seymour regarding a re-zoning request by Jason Bench/Elizabeth Hostas, at 300 W. California Street, also known as Lot 7 & South 45 feet of Lot 8, Block 5, Morris Addition, from a B-1 to a B-2 Commercial zone.
ED Director Lauren Bush spoke on behalf of Jason Bench and Elizabeth Hostas,
regarding the zoning request. A drive thru car wash is in the process of being built.
The current location is currently in a B-1 commercial zone and will need to be zoned
into a B-2. All the necessary paperwork has been filed.
No one had any questions or comments and public hearing closed and regular meeting
resumes at 7:12 p.m.
3. Discuss, consider and take action regarding re-zoning request from Jason
Bench/Elizabeth Hostas, at 300 W. California Street, from a B-1 to a B-2 Commercial
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Paula K. Vaden
to approve zoning request for 300 W. California Street. Motion passes unanimously.
4. Discuss, consider and give ED Director Lauren Bush direction regarding grant
Information and distribution of funds.
Lauren had presented Mayor and Council member’s with several options and ideas to
give her direction on what and how or where to use funds in her budget. After a lengthy
discussion, MPT Hrncirik advised the Council to think about it and get with Lauren on a
one to one basis and maybe a decision could be made. No action was taken on this
5. Discuss, consider and take action by adopting Resolution No. 1453, an annual
Resolution of the City of Seymour, Texas, reviewing the Investment Policy for Invested
funds for the City of Seymour.
Motion made by Council member Monty Glass, second by Council member Les Hons, to
approve Resolution No. 1453, Investment Policy. Motion passes unanimously.
6. Discuss, consider and take action regarding the annual contract, between the City of
Seymour, and Baylor County Appraisal District, for Assessment and Collection
Services of the Baylor County Appraisal District, beginning January 1, 2018 and ending
December 31, 2018.
Motion made by Council member Les Hons, second by Council member Monty Glass, to
approve the annual Assessment and Collection Contract, between the Baylor Co.
Appraisal District and the City of Seymour for 2018.
7. Discuss, consider and review the City of Seymour Water Well Report.
MPT Hrncirik and Council reviewed the water well report and no changes were made at
this time. No council action was taken.
8. Discuss, consider and take action on annual City of Seymour’s sponsorship for the
Fireman’s Appreciation Dinner scheduled for November 2, 2017, in the amount of
Motion made by Council member Mary K. Fair, second by Council member Paula K.
Vaden to pay $435.00 toward the Fireman’s Appreciation Dinner for November 2, 2017.
3 ayes and Council member Les Hons and Monty Glass abstained as they are members
of the Fire Department. Motion passes with majority being ayes.
9. Discuss, consider and take action regarding City Bills paid for the month of
MPT Hrncirik and Council reviewed the city bills paid in September of 2017, and a
motion was entertained. Motion made by Council member Monty Glass, second by
Mary K. Fair, to approve the city bills as presented. Motion passes unanimously.
Regular meeting closes and MPT Hrncirik calls for a recess at 8:03 p.m.
Recess closes at 8:20 p.m., and Executive Session begins at 8:21 p.m.
10. An Executive Session (closed to the public) and pursuant to Chapter551 of the
Texas Local Government Code under §551.071- Consultation with City Attorney
regarding Code Enforcement Position.
Executive session closes at 8:46 p.m. and Executive Session two begins at 8:47 p.m.
11. An Executive Session (closed to the public) and pursuant to Chapter 551 of the
Texas Local Government Code under § 551.071- Consultation with City Attorney
regarding Golf Cart Ordinance.
Executive Session closes at 9:09 p.m. and Executive Session three begins at 9:09 p.m.
12. An Executive Session (closed to the public) and pursuant to Chapter 551 of the
Texas Local Government Code under §551.074- Personnel; Clarification regarding
Sick Leave Incentive.
Executive Session closes at 9:48 p.m., and regular meeting resumes
13. Discuss and take action regarding deliberations from Executive session regarding
Code Enforcement position.
No Action taken
14. Discuss and take action regarding deliberations from Executive session regarding
Golf Cart Ordinance.
No Action taken
15. Discuss and take action regarding deliberations from Executive session regarding
clarification on Sick Leave Incentive.
No action taken
16. Adjournment by Council member Monty Glass, second by Council member Paula K.
Vaden, to adjourn at 9:50 p.m. Motion passes unanimously.
PASSED AND APPROVED ON THIS THE 16TH DAY OF NOVEMBER, 2017.
MPT Jon Hrncirik
City Secretary, Conchita Torrez